Wednesday 19 January 2011

Things done and yet to be done

This past Monday was apparantly "Blue Monday" - the most depressing day of the year. Isn't that a cheery news story. Good to know the that the media will always be there to perk us up in the darkest of times...

My own blue Monday was more of a coughing endlessly Monday as I have once again fallen foul of a chest infection. But though I may be confined to quarters I've tried to get things done, with varying levels of success. The short story is done, and in the hands of a test reader. Fingers crossed she doesn't hate it. I might make some changes but overall I'm happy with how it turned out and will be submitting it to the Writers and Artists Handbook writing competition. Then I need to start working on another one for the Bridport prize in time for the 30th June closing date.

Then there's the novel... not been making as good progress on that but will carry on with it today. I've managed to put myself off by realising how much I need to change in order to continue but sooner started, sooner finished. Instead of writing I've been catching up on old TV shows I've had recorded for months but haven't got round to watching. Not frivolous stuff like Ugly Betty (haven't got round to that yet) but a programme called Ancient Worlds presented by Richard Miles. Turns out that it was Indo-Greeks (a bunch of Greeks that moved and settled in modern Pakistan) that designed and created the first human representations of the Buddha. I did not know that. Now of course I'm going to have to get some books about that period and area to get the whole story, as I can never just take what a TV show says at face value. It's a day well spent when you learn something you didn't know before.

No comments:

Post a Comment