Monday 20 January 2014

Morning Starts Have Begun

Managed to get the first draft of my short done, at just under 4000 words. This waking up early lark is turning out to be a big help to productivity - I can see why Hemingway and others prefer it. Your brain is all fresh and doesn't have all the bewilderment that can come from a long day at work. If you're really lucky some weird dream will cast its shadow on the story, turning it into something far more magical than you intended. I've got a lot of editing to do with this short (which will likely make it longer) but ripping it into parts should do the trick when I need to put it back together again.

The other thing I've started to do in the a.m. is going to the gym. This is a big deal. I hate running and have avoided as many sports as I could throughout my life (I still get chilling nightmares about PE classes). But I'm at an age where I need to do something otherwise I run the risk of turning into a computer dude, with the chair fused to my ever increasing ass. The most shocking thing about all this is, so far, I'm actually enjoying myself. I may even turn into one of those people, the ones who wax lyrical about "what a rush" they get from the treadmill. But I'll try not to - I hate those arseholes.

Sunday saw the launch of a new version of The Three Musketeers from the BBC - I must admit I wasn't optimistic after the car crash that was Atlantis. However I was more than pleasantly surprised. As the book is one of my top 5 favourites of all time I can find "re-imaginings" of the story painful at best or just damned embarrassing at worst. This though was a decent adventure, with nice characterisation of our leads made quickly, creating a distinction between them within the first fifteen minutes. The acting wasn't too bad either. All in all I'm looking forward to the next one and hope it lives up to the promise of the first episode.

I'm writing this as I watch Lincoln (very good but very long!) so I'd better get back to pay attention - Lewis is making another speech about freedom or such.

No comments:

Post a Comment